7th Biennial Workshop on Dystonia and Parkinson’s Disease:
“Cellular and molecular targets for novel therapeutics”
Rome, September 18-19, 2019
Nobile Collegio Chimico Farmaceutico, Rome, Italy
12 p.m. Opening light lunch
12.45 p.m. Welcome from authorities
1.00 p.m. Welcoming remarks: Antonio Pisani, Jan Teller, Bonnie Strauss
1.15-2.15 p.m. Debate 1. Are the clinical features of isolated dystonia the same as those of dystonia in Parkinson disease?
Chair: Alberto Albanese, Joel Perlmutter
Speakers: Kailash Bhatia, Anthony Lang
2.15-2.30 p.m. Discussion
2.30-3.30 p.m. Session 1. Dystonia and PD: new genes, new therapeutic targets?
(Are gene products leading to discoveries for novel therapeutic agents?)
Chairs: Enza Maria Valente, Rose Goodchild
- Niccolò Mencacci: New genes for rare hyperkinetic movement disorders: what are we learning about molecular pathophysiology of striatal disorders?
- Miryam Carecchio – When genetics meet surgery: DBS outcome in genetically-determined dystonia and PD
- Ellen Hess- Shared and unique pathophysiological features of PD and DOPA-responsive dystonia
3.30-4.30 Data blitz (selection from 2-3 posters, 3 min presentation)
Chairs: Annarita Bentivoglio, Mariangela Pierantozzi
9.00-9.40. Debate 2. Dopamine receptors in dystonia and levodopa-induced dyskinesias: distinct targets?
Chairs: Erwan Bezard
Speakers: David G. Standaert, Paola Bonsi
10.00-11.00 a.m. Novel cellular and molecular targets (do dystonia targets apply for PD?)
Chairs: Fabio Blandini, Buz Jinnah
- Nicole Calakos- eIF2alpha signaling in dystonia
- Pedro Gonzalez Alegre- ERK signaling in the striatum: a point of convergence for hyperkinetic disorders?
- Fabrizio Gardoni – Differential modifications of AMPA and NMDA receptor subunits at striatal synapses in PD and dystonia
11.30 a.m.- 12.30 p.m. Session 3. Novel technologies for dystonia and PD research
Chairs: Paolo Calabresi, Cris Bragg
- Philipp Capetian- Patient-derived vs. isogenic neural stem cell models
- Giuseppe Sciamanna- Role of Globus Pallidus in Dystonia: Optogenetic strategies to unveil the altered neural circuits
- Lilian Cruz- CRISPR/Cas9 for allele-specific editing in DYT1 iPSCs
2.30-3.30 p.m. Session 4: Molecular Targets for dystonia and PD: Clues from treatable inherited disorders.
Chairs: Marie Vidailhet, Vincenzo Leuzzi
- Vincenzo Leuzzi- Parkinsonism in Children
- Emmanuel Roze- Triheptanoin for the treatment of Brain energy deficit: from Glut1 deficiency to other movement disorders
- Thomas Klopstock – Heavy metals: possible therapy with chelating agents
3.30-4 p.m. Discussion
Round-table. Novel drugs for dystonia and PD
Chairs: Erwan Bezard, Alessandro Stefani, Nicola B. Mercuri, Jan Teller, Tom Salt, Mitchell Brin
6 p.m. Adjourn
Scientific Committee (B. Jinnah, N.B. Mercuri, A. Pisani (Chair), D.G. Standaert, J. Teller)